Waltham Forest Community Learning & Skills Service

Frequently Asked Questions

How to book on a course

Working out how much you pay

Supporting Learners

How to book on a course

Q: What do I do if I want to join English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) course?

A: You need to put your name on the waiting list, please telephone 020 8520 3843 or any main centre to put your name down. You will receive a card through the post inviting you to an interview. For more information on ESOL Course Fees please click here

Q: What do I do if I want to join an English or Maths course?

A: To join a course you will need to attend an enrolment session, where you will be given an assessment to make sure you are put on the right class. Click here for details of how to find out when the next enrolment session will take place.

Q: What do I do if I want to join any other type of course?

A: You can make a booking by:

  • Telephone (if you have a credit or debit card) to any main centre or the booking line, click here for a list of contact numbers.
  • Post - a booking can be made by post by completing our booking form (pdf).

    Cheques or postal orders should be sent with the booking form to BOOKINGS at Queens Road Learning Centre. Do not send cash through the post.
  • Coming along to one of our Information & Enrolment sessions (see here)
    Come into any of the CLaSS centres, listed on the back page of the 2011/12 brochure or click here for opening times for bookings for each centre.

Working out how much you pay

Q: How much do I have to pay for my course?

A: The cost of each course is shown in the course details. The fee shown is for the entire course. On some courses as well as the course fee there is an examination and/or awarding body registration fee, these should be paid when you enrol on a course. Exam/accreditation costs are correct at time of print; however, occasionally examination/accreditation costs do change.

Q: Am I entitled to a reduced fee?

A: This is for those people on an income based benefit or the dependent of someone in receipt of one of these benefits. You will need to bring proof of entitlement to the first session of your course or when you book your course. See here for a list of benefits

Q: Am I entitled to a free course?


See our fees page for more information.

Q: Can I pay for the course in instalments?

A: If you choose to pay by debit card, cheque, cash or postal order then you can pay for your course in 2 instalments as long as your course lasts for 6 weeks or more and the course fee is 100 or above. At the time of booking you must pay 60% of the fee. The remainder of the fee is payable by the fourth week of the course. If you choose to pay by debit or credit card, if your course is shorter than 6 weeks, or if your course fee is less than 100 you will be required to pay the full amount for your course when you book

Q: What methods can I use to pay of my course?

A: Cash, Debit/Credit Card, Cheque, or Postal Order

Q: Can I pay for my course online?

A: Not at present, but we are working towards this facility.

Q: Are there any other costs?

A: You may also have to pay for textbooks, materials and consumables. Wherever possible, you will be informed of these additional costs in the course information sheets. Help with any course-related expenses may be available, click here for further information on the Learner Support Fund

Q: Do you offer refunds if I need to cancel my booking?

A: A refund will only be given if your course is closed. A pro-rata refund will be issued to those learners who have been in regular attendance. Learners withdrawing from a course are not entitled to a refund. In some cases we can allow learners to transfer the balance of their payment to one other course.

Supporting Learners

Q: What extra support is available to help me?

A: We can provide a range of extra support to help you complete your course. We have a range of equipment such as: hearing loops, magnifiers and computer software. We can also support your learning by providing support staff, i.e. a communicator. Other support can also include Study Skills, English for Speakers of Other Languages, Dyslexia Support , Numeracy and Writing support e.g. for course work. See our learner support page for more information.

Q: Is there any financial support to help me complete my course?

A: We have the Learner Support Fund from which you may be able to get financial help towards course fees, examination/accreditation fees and set text books. Click here for further details on the Learner Support Fund.

Q: Do you provide childcare whilst I am on my course?

Please contact one of our centres or email us on for more information on creche availability.

Q: What do I do if I have a complaint?

A: We learn valuable lessons from complaints and they can help us to improve our Service for everyone in the future. You can make your complaint in person, by letter, phone, email, or fax to a member of our centre administrative staff. The Administrative Co-ordinator will respond to the complaint or pass it on to another manager for action if necessary. CLaSS operates within the guidelines of the London Borough of Waltham Forest Council's complaints procedure. Copies are available from CLaSS Centres or contact:

Angela Diamond, Head of Teaching & Learning
Tel: 020 8988 0555